9.15.2010

Mystery of the Nile - LEGO interpretation

Earlier this week, as part of our study of the ancient Egyptians, we watched the movie "Mystery of the Nile". What an incredible adventure of a movie! The Boy and The Girl were as enthralled as I was! And when we found out that there is a book to go along with the movie, we hit the library's website to request it immediately. It came in shortly after we requested it and it's sitting in our library basket, waiting to be read.


After we were done watching the movie, The Boy had some free time while I worked with The Girl on her math and he set to work with his Legos. Here's how I know he enjoyed the movie:


Photobucket
One of the rafts that the film makers used to travel the 4,000 miles of the Nile River.


Photobucket
Another angle of the raft.


Photobucket
Gordon Brown's kayak.


Photobucket
The expedition crew.


Photobucket
The expedition crew going under one of the bridges along the Nile in Ethiopia.


Photobucket
Another view.


The Boy then proceeded to retell me the story of the expedition, almost point by point, using his Lego creations to illustrate. I told him he should go get the Duplo alligator out to add to the scene, which he did, but my camera battery died before I had a chance to take a picture.


The Girl now wants to take kayaking lessons so she can learn to kayak like Mr. Brown did in the movie. Thankfully we're in the right place for her to learn. Time to talk to some people and see what I can set up for her!


If you've not had a chance to watch the movie, I would definitely recommend it. It's an amazing production and, while watching it, you feel as though you are THERE on the Nile with them.




Pau.




- hfs

3 comments:

  1. Grr...I'm not sure where my frames went. Photobucket is driving me batty these days. Sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love seeing Woody on the bridge alongside astronauts! I love Legos and I love that our kids love them. I'm a bit mystified by fellow parents who insist that their kids keep their Legos as complete sets and not mix the pieces. As nice and tidy as that is, I can just picture how that would inhibit my Mr. Lego Engineer's creative building. The unique things he comes up with! All facilitated (in my view) by bins full of different pieces, which are always available to be used in a new and different way.

    Go Legos! Go Building! Go Building with Legos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm of two minds...the OCD part of me likes them to keep their sets put together or at least all in the same bin (i.e. not mixed with other sets). It helps to keep things from getting lost when they decide to put their sets back together.

    The other part of me agrees with you - creativity is encouraged when they have access to all sorts of blocks and pieces.

    And I see my frames are back. Huh.

    ReplyDelete